Babies need a lot of things and it is helpful when friends and family help buy them. Women also need supplies to help them recover. We encourage family and friends to shower a new mother with the same love and support in helping her get ready for the 4th Trimester. Below are some supplies that can be helpful in the days and weeks after childbirth.
First take stock of what is already at home. Some supplies are also provided by hospitals. Then ask for help to make sure everything is ready and available.
Postpartum Recovery Supplies:
Immediate postpartum care and pain management can include:
- Ice packs for swelling and pain
- Medicated witch hazel pads (such as Tucks) for hemorrhoids
- Tip: Put witch hazel on a sanitary pad and freeze the pad
- Some hospitals send patients home with an anesthetic pain relieving spray (like Dermoplast), which can offer some relief.
- Extra mesh panties (hospitals will provide some of these) or adult leakage underwear (like Depends)
- Cooling gel pads
- Sitz bath
- Heating pad
- Compression belly band (Sometimes hospitals will have these to provide. Some women may already have to help during pregnancy)
- Peri-bottles (often given by hospitals)
- Over the counter medicines, like stool softener, ibuprofen or essential oilsFor more information about postpartum supplies, click here.