Caring for your breast after the loss can be difficult. Here are some tips to help reduce pain and to stop milk production:
- Wear comfortable supportive bras with breast pads to prevent leakage
- Apply cold packs every 15-20 mins as needed during the day for comfort
- Ask about over the counter pain meds, such as ibuprofen, to reduce pain and swelling
- Express just a little breast milk to relieve pain if your breast become over filled.
- Lean over a warm water bath to help relieve pain
- Watch for signs of breast infection such as a fever of 100.4 F or greater, feeling sick such as if you have the flu, your breast feeling very swollen, warm to the touch, looking red, or feeling a hard area or lump in your breast
- Click to read more about mastitis
For more details about breast care, pain, drying up for your milk, see the Breast section of our site.
Resource: Breast Care After Your Baby Dies, DHHS